The latest happenings on the site.
Check in for upcoming events about and on the site.
Keep up to date by following @AlmonoSite
Sapling trees and fresh asphalt.
The first road on the site is nearing completion. The 1.5 mile right-of-way has been designed to complete street standards, with:
- stormwater management that integrates bump-outs and ponds;
- a porous cycle track that runs most of the length, complemented with on-street bike lanes; and
- buried utility lines.
The roadway - temporarily dubbed "Signature Boulevard" - that is slated for completion by the end of 2017, will open the site for development and provide a safer pedestrian and cyclist connection to Hazelwood.
Designing a legacy building for the future.
The Mill 19 project includes the adaptive reuse of a 180,000-square foot, existing structure that will be redeveloped in three phases by the Regional Industrial Development Corporation (RIDC) for a total of 280,000 square feet of leasable space on three floors once completed. Portions of the existing structure will be maintained as an industrial artifact that reflects and honors Pittsburgh’s past. A new three-story building will be built within the artifact structure to accommodate a mix of tech, research and development, and light industrial uses with the flexibility and innovative features required for tomorrow’s workers. If you have additional questions about the Mill 19 building, please get in touch with RIDC directly.
Sources: Exterior Photograph by Richard Kelly for the Heinz Endowments, Spring 2008. Rendering by MSR Design, 2016
Almono news through the years.
- Jul 12, 2017 Update on the review of Integrated Energy Service Provider RFEI responses. Jul 12, 2017
- Jul 9, 2017 GBA Bike Tour on the Almono Site Jul 9, 2017
- May 24, 2017 Requests for Expressions of Interest: Energy Service Providers May 24, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Good News Is, One City in Pennsylvania Is Poised to Crush the 21st Century. The Bad News? May 1, 2017
- Mar 21, 2017 Inside Almono: The Story of How A Former Pittsburgh Steel Mill Becomes a Model of A Sustainable Community Mar 21, 2017
- Mar 5, 2017 ULI Pittsburgh: Almono Update Mar 5, 2017
- Feb 28, 2017 Pittsburgh Developments to Watch in 2017 Feb 28, 2017
- Feb 24, 2017 Requests for Proposals: Marketing & Communications Stage 1 Feb 24, 2017
- Feb 22, 2017 Pittsburgh's Last Urban Brownfield to Become Sustainable, Mixed-Use Community Feb 22, 2017
- Oct 28, 2016 Almono Gets A Street And Its First Major Pathway To Development Oct 28, 2016
- Sep 8, 2016 Almono’s Mill 19 will transform into eco-friendly tech hub while preserving steel skeleton Sep 8, 2016
- Jul 12, 2016 From Red-Hot Steel To Red-Hot Tech: Reinventing An Old Industrial Site Jul 12, 2016
- Nov 16, 2015 What’s next for Almono, the biggest development in Pittsburgh? Nov 16, 2015
- Oct 22, 2014 11 City Development Projects to Get Pittsburghers Pumped Oct 22, 2014
- Jan 22, 2013 Pittsburgh’s Three Rivers, Now a Public Attraction Jan 22, 2013
- Jun 30, 2012 ACT II: After the Mill Jun 30, 2012
- Oct 30, 2004 Philanthropic Field Oct 30, 2004