The latest happenings on the site.
Check in for upcoming events about and on the site.
Keep up to date by following @theAlmonoSite
Sapling trees and fresh asphalt.
The first road on the site is nearing completion. The 1.5 mile right-of-way has been designed to complete street standards, with:
- stormwater management that integrates bump-outs and ponds;
- a porous cycle track that runs most of the length, complemented with on-street bike lanes; and
- buried utility lines.
We realize from the outside the road and bicycle lanes look complete, and they almost are! BUT for a 100-foot stretch that passes underneath a railroad bridge in the middle of the site. A protective canopy design is under design review and once approved will be constructed early next year to close this gap in the roadway. Once this gap in construction is completed, we will move forward with dedication of the roadway and bike lane to the City for public use.
This roadway will provide a safe alternative for cyclists and pedestrians to get to and from Hazelwood, as well as open the site for development. Also to note, the roadway is temporarily dubbed "Signature Boulevard," before it goes through a public dedication process to the City in 2018, a different name will be chosen.
Designing a legacy building for the future.
The Mill 19 project includes the adaptive reuse of a 180,000-square foot, existing structure that will be redeveloped in three phases by the Regional Industrial Development Corporation (RIDC) for a total of 280,000 square feet of leasable space on three floors once completed. Portions of the existing structure will be maintained as an industrial artifact that reflects and honors Pittsburgh’s past. A new three-story building will be built within the artifact structure to accommodate a mix of tech, research and development, and light industrial uses with the flexibility and innovative features required for tomorrow’s workers. If you have additional questions about the Mill 19 building, please get in touch with RIDC directly.
Sources: Exterior Photograph by Richard Kelly for the Heinz Endowments, Spring 2008. Rendering by MSR Design, 2016
Almono, and related news through the years.
- Sep 20, 2017 Bicycle access on the site Sep 20, 2017
- Sep 14, 2017 Innovation + Placemaking + Pittsburgh Sep 14, 2017
- Sep 13, 2017 Join Almono @ ULI's Active Transportation & Real Estate - The Next Frontier Sep 13, 2017
- Aug 28, 2017 RFEI: IESP Next Steps Aug 28, 2017
- Jul 22, 2017 Pittsburgh Gets a Tech Makeover Jul 22, 2017
- Jul 12, 2017 Update on the review of Integrated Energy Service Provider RFEI responses. Jul 12, 2017
- Jul 9, 2017 GBA Bike Tour on the Almono Site Jul 9, 2017
- May 24, 2017 Requests for Expressions of Interest: Energy Service Providers May 24, 2017
- May 1, 2017 The Good News Is, One City in Pennsylvania Is Poised to Crush the 21st Century. The Bad News? May 1, 2017
- Mar 21, 2017 Inside Almono: The Story of How A Former Pittsburgh Steel Mill Becomes a Model of A Sustainable Community Mar 21, 2017
- Mar 5, 2017 ULI Pittsburgh: Almono Update Mar 5, 2017
- Feb 28, 2017 Pittsburgh Developments to Watch in 2017 Feb 28, 2017
- Feb 24, 2017 Requests for Proposals: Marketing & Communications Stage 1 Feb 24, 2017
- Feb 22, 2017 Pittsburgh's Last Urban Brownfield to Become Sustainable, Mixed-Use Community Feb 22, 2017
- Dec 1, 2016 Grapple: Episode 09: Hazelwood, A Pittsburgh Neighborhood on the Cusp of Change Dec 1, 2016
- Oct 28, 2016 Almono Gets A Street And Its First Major Pathway To Development Oct 28, 2016
- Sep 8, 2016 Almono’s Mill 19 will transform into eco-friendly tech hub while preserving steel skeleton Sep 8, 2016
- Jul 12, 2016 From Red-Hot Steel To Red-Hot Tech: Reinventing An Old Industrial Site Jul 12, 2016
- Nov 16, 2015 What’s next for Almono, the biggest development in Pittsburgh? Nov 16, 2015
- Oct 22, 2014 11 City Development Projects to Get Pittsburghers Pumped Oct 22, 2014
- Oct 10, 2013 Brownfields - LTV Coke Plant at Almono by PA DCED Oct 10, 2013
- Jan 22, 2013 Pittsburgh’s Three Rivers, Now a Public Attraction Jan 22, 2013
- Jun 30, 2012 ACT II: After the Mill Jun 30, 2012
- Oct 30, 2004 Philanthropic Field Oct 30, 2004