A few key projects are underway. Stay tuned, more are in the works.
Photograph by Richard Kelly for The Heinz Endowments, Spring 2008. Rendering by MSR Design, 2016.
The Mill 19 Building
The Mill 19 project includes the adaptive reuse of a 180,000-square foot, existing structure that will be redeveloped in three phases by RIDC for a total of 280,000 square feet of leasable space on three floors once completed. Portions of the existing structure will be maintained as an industrial artifact that reflects and honors Pittsburgh’s past. A new three-story building will be built within the artifact structure to accommodate a mix of tech, research and development and light industrial uses with the flexibility and innovative features required for tomorrow’s workers. As the first significant building on the Almono site, Mill 19 will also set the stage for achieving the site’s overall goal of net zero energy use through the installation of a rooftop solar array and connection to the planned geothermal district energy system.
Phase 1 Infrastructure
The site’s Phase 1 Transportation and Utlity Corridor is currently underway. The 1.5 mile right of way has been designed to complete street standards, with advanced stormwater best management practices, a porous cycle-track, pedestrian sidewalks, drive lanes, on-street parking, as well as various trunk utility lines. With project completion slated for 2017, the site's first road will open the site up for new development.
One of the (new) earliest uses on the site, Uber is currently using a southern portion of the site to house their test track for self-driving cars. Within the test track they can simulate how cars might interact with obstacles and the rules of the road on regular city streets. In addition to this temporary test track, proposed development includes the renovation of the old locomative roundhouse, and the development of a green space along Tecumseh Street.
Almono News Through the Years
- Mar 22, 2017 Inside Almono: The Story of How A Former Pittsburgh Steel Mill Becomes a Model of A Sustainable Community Mar 22, 2017
- Mar 6, 2017 ULI Pittsburgh: Almono Update Mar 6, 2017
- Feb 28, 2017 Pittsburgh Developments to Watch in 2017 Feb 28, 2017
- Feb 24, 2017 Requests for Proposals: Marketing & Communications Stage 1 Feb 24, 2017
- Feb 22, 2017 Pittsburgh's Last Urban Brownfield to Become Sustainable, Mixed-Use Community Feb 22, 2017
- Oct 28, 2016 Almono Gets A Street And Its First Major Pathway To Development Oct 28, 2016
- Sep 8, 2016 Almono’s Mill 19 will transform into eco-friendly tech hub while preserving steel skeleton Sep 8, 2016
- Jul 12, 2016 From Red-Hot Steel To Red-Hot Tech: Reinventing An Old Industrial Site Jul 12, 2016
- Nov 16, 2015 What’s next for Almono, the biggest development in Pittsburgh? Nov 16, 2015
- Oct 22, 2014 11 City Development Projects to Get Pittsburghers Pumped Oct 22, 2014
- Jan 22, 2013 Pittsburgh’s Three Rivers, Now a Public Attraction Jan 22, 2013
- Jun 30, 2012 ACT II: After the Mill Jun 30, 2012
- Oct 30, 2004 Philanthropic Field Oct 30, 2004